Skip to content

The deal with my foot

January 30, 2009

I’m not sure what woke me up, but now I’m awake. I took my percocet, hauled myself to the bathroom (no small feat), and am now wandering around the web. I’m not sure but it feels like I might be starting to feel my foot again. I hope not. I’m not ready for the pain.

Yesterday morning I had surgery on my right foot. I have bunions (which aren’t as gross as they sound). It’s a genetic problem where the bone structure of your foot spreads out across your toe joints. This can happen with the first joint by the big toe causing the big toe to turn inwards toward the second toe. Evidently it can also happen with the joint of the baby toe as well (it did on mine). I’ve been reading a lot about them and some say the toe turns inward first causing the bump on the outside of the joint, others say the bump pushes the toe inward. Whatever the case is, it becomes very painful over time. Shoes stop fitting right and life in general becomes a bit miserable. To correct it they cut open the side of your joint, push the joint back over to the next one, and pin it there. Sometimes they have to remove parts of bone that build up over time. Joy has had this surgery correcting both of her and has had good results. Tanya also had surgery last month and seems to be healing well.

I’ve always had really bony feet so I didn’t even know there was anything wrong until I went to the podiatrist for something else. They told me I had them several years ago. I didn’t believe them (what an obnoxious patient), but as time went on my feet started hurting more and more. I’m on my feet all the time as it is, but it started to get bad enough where I went back to the doctor.

After working hard last year to pay off some other debts, and getting as much traveling in as I could, I finally got the right foot done yesterday. So far so good. I’ve been lying on the couch at my parents’ with my foot above my heart as much as possible. Yesterday while I was awake we had to ice it for 30 minutes, then take it off for 10 minutes – the whole day. It helps my foot not swell as much, which will help it heal better. I’ll be lying down, doing the ice thing, for the next 2 days. After that I should be able to be a little more mobile, but can’t drive for 2 weeks. I have to go back on Wed to make sure everything is fine. They’ll rewrap it, and put my air boot on (I think).

I’ll be out of work for at least 6 weeks. I’m really excited about it. The last few months have been really hectic so I’m excited to have forced down time. I’m looking forward to being able to catch up on real life and get to know my friends and family again. I have some writing projects I want to do, and want to use this time to start preparing to take the test to get into grad school.

I think I”ll try sleep again.

Currently reading: My Little Blue Dress By Bruno Maddox

One Comment leave one →
  1. January 30, 2009 14:53

    I’m glad to hear you’re doing well. I read up about it on wikipedia. What type of procedure was it? What are you going to do with your 6 weeks off other than rest a lot.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: